Notes from the Inter-Agency Standing Committee: "Human Trafficking in Times of Crisis"
Ginny Baumann-Senior Program Officer for the Freedom Fund
- After earthquake in Nepal 2015, increasing concerns about human trafficking and physical and sexual abuse
- Undertake the action research in Sindhupalchok district.
- Interview-18 informants
- Workshops for frontline workers
- 33 participants to map out change and learning
- Valuable information on the causes of increased vulnerability to human trafficking
- Violence and abuse against women and children
Michela Macchiavello-International Organization for Migration
- Key findings:
- Armed conflict, natural disasters, protracted crisis: different scenarios, similar consequences on cases of trafficking and exploitation
- Concrete action:
- Global Protection Cluster; IOM response to Nepal crisis 2015; IOM activities in Syria 2015-16; Protection working group in Kurdistan region of Iraq
- Member states have to volunteer to implement
- Financial problems
- Confusion regarding protocol
- Data collecting. We need more evidence. But if we wait for evidence, large number of victims will appear. If we start to act now, we will have a much better chance to prevent things from happening.
- Relate to SDGs. SDGs mention human trafficking issues in several indicators. We allso work with UN women. 8.7-child labor. Work closely with all partners, IOM, Unicef, civil society partners.
- Psychological support
- UNODC providing psychological system through NGOs for us to include that in the next iteration.
- We have a reference group on mental health and support. We can try to partner them up.
- State department office. Interested in mental health issue. Specify some research questions that would like to see answer?
- Data regarding sexual exploitation.
- Main organizations involved in sexual social support
- Where we are at collecting evidence?
- Donors: We are addressing donors as a whole, specifically the traditional donors that are not used to responding and those who are traditional development donors who are used to addressing and responding.
- More information here: https://interagencystandingcommittee.org/new-york-iasc-events/content/human-trafficking-times-crisis